Have you read this book?
Have you read 15 SECRETS SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT TIME MANAGEMENT by Kevin Kruse?
I’ve just finished this book. It was recommended to me by a successful business advisor, he thought it was a great fit for me, so I wanted to touch on a few secrets in the hopes it will help you get organized.
Secret #1 – MIT and the Power of Proper Priorities
“If you aren’t busy working on your own goals, you’ll be working to achieve somebody else’s goal”
- Identify your MIT (most important task) – what is the single most important task to get you closer to your goal RIGHT NOW?
- Once you can identify your MIT, calendar it into your day as early as possible, research says we are more productive and effective in the first 2 hours of our day
Secret #2 – Stop making to-do-lists
- Stop calling your tasks “to-do” and start scheduling them into your calendar as a priority
- Scheduling tasks on your calendar instead of writing them on a to-do list will free your mind, reduce stress and increase cognitive performance
- Remember to start with your MIT on your calendar first
Secret #3 – Take notes
“Always carry a notebook. Write everything down. When you have an idea, write it down. When you meet someone new, write down everything you know about them. That way you will know how much time they are worth. When you hear something interesting, write it down. Writing it down will make you act upon it. It you don’t write it down you will forget it. THAT is a million-dollar lesson they don’t teach you in business school.”
- Always carry a notebook, write it down… ALL of it!!!
Secret #4 – Master your email Inbox
- Time block (try to keep it under 30 minutes) to check and reply to your emails daily
- Touch the email once – take care of it – and achieve it (email folders work great)
- Don’t sign up for “newsletters” unless they serve YOU well (hint, hint… you can google Old Navy to see what’s on sale, you don’t need to be reminded three times a day about their promotions)
Secret #5 – Why it’s hard to say “NO”
“The difference between successful people and very successful people is that very successful people say ‘no’ to almost everything”
- Say “no” even whey you are afraid to make people mad
- Say “no” even if you are afraid to hurt someone’s feelings
- Say “no” even if you are afraid you will not be liked
- Say “no” to ANYTHING that is not helping you achieve your goal, is consuming your valuable time and is not serving YOU
- Say “yes” to the things you value most
Secret #6 – Drop, Delegate and Redesign
“People who actively look for things to delegate report higher levels of productivity, happiness and energy, and are less likely to feel overworked and overwhelmed”
- Drop: What items can you drop and/or stop doing entirely?
- Delegate: What items can you delegate or outsource right now?
- Redesign: What can you continue to do but in a more time efficient way?
Secret #7 – Energy is EVERYTHING
“Productivity is about energy and focus, not time”
- Take care of your health
- Get enough sleep
- Limit sugar and alcohol
- Drink LOTS of water
- Get your 30 minutes of physical activity EVERYDAY
I highly recommend you read this book. The valuable tips and tools are simple changes that can increase your productivity and reduce your stress and who doesn’t want to be healthy and happy!
Thanks for reading – Chelsea